We risk losing Canada’s public health care system in 2014
Right now, there’s a dangerous legal attack before the courts that could turn Canada’s Medicare system into a US-style system – without the public having a say.
The attack is driven by Dr. Brian Day, owner of a Vancouver for-profit clinic known for unlawfully billing for necessary care. Dr. Day is on a calculated campaign to replace Canada’s Medicare with a US-style system, and he’s using the courts to do it.
The case is being called the most significant constitutional challenge in Canadian history. And it’s going to trial in BC Supreme Court this September.
What does this mean for me and my family?
If Dr. Day wins this case, we’ll lose the public health system that our families rely on. The two-tier system that will replace it will pose a signifcant to the health and wellbeing of Canadian families:
• Doctors will be able to set any price that they want. Because of deregulated medical pricing, the average health care spending per person in the US was $8,508 in 2011. In Canada, it was $4,522.
• Expensive private insurance will become the new norm like in the United States where the cost of insurance for an average family of four is $23,215 a year.
• Two-tiered health care will mean more income insecurity for Canadian families. 3 of every 5 bankruptcies in the US are due to medical bills — and 69% of Americans who experienced medically related bankruptcy were insured at the time of their filing.
• Public wait times will become longer, as doctors and nurses are siphoned from the public system to the for-profit system.
Why is this a national issue?
Even though the case is in BC, it threatens health care for all of us. If Dr. Day wins the case the laws that protect our public health care system will crumble across the country. We have to make sure Dr. Day is defeated. Canadians take pride in a system that looks after all of us when we need it – we don’t want US-style health care.
There are real solutions to the challenges we face that won’t compromise the values of fairness and access to good health care for all.
Who’s defending our public health care system?
The BC Health Coalition and Canadian Doctors for Medicare are interveners in this case. This means that we are participating directly in the case, and we’ll be standing up for Medicare in court.
But this fight will not only be won in court. We need you to make sure that Dr. Day is defeated by sending a clear message: we want a system that cares for everyone, and taking away our health care system is wrong.
We need to make sure our voices are loud and clear in government, media and our friends and family – we want a Medicare system that works for all people in Canada.
What can I do?
We need your support to help save Canada’s Medicare system. Help raise awareness about this case in your community, and help ensure that we are speaking out together about the importance of protecting public health care in court.
1) Sign up at www.savemedicare.ca and keep up to date on the case.
2) Spread the word in your community: organize a local event, get coverage in your organization’s newsletter, make a presentation to local community groups in your area.
3) Write to your local newspaper, and let them know about this important case.
4) Find us on facebook and help us by spreading the word to your social network.
Visit SaveMedicare.ca to join the fight!