The Lantzville Historical Society unveiled their Coalmine commemoration plaques on a granite boulder at the foot of Jacks Rd on January 7th. Armand Caillet and society president Lynn Reeve, both founding members of the society, officiated. Mrs Reeve spoke of the changes the short lived mine (1916 – 1926) brought to the district. Mr Caillet spoke of his family’s relationship with the mine. Then, Mr. Caillet officially removed the canvas tarp allowing members of the public to see the three plaques. Two of the plaques feature photos of the mine and wharf and the third contains text about the history of the mine.
The Jacks Rd location was chosen because it is closest to the centre of the old mine’s surface buildings and it overlooks the remaining wharf poles. It is difficult to imagine that a bustling industrial operation with 235 workers once existed in this tranquil waterfront residential neighborhood.